Monday, January 1, 2001

Kathleen Young



Kathleen Simpson Young (and Lucy, trainer)
Melon
New Orleans, LA
What is Kathleen doing here?!
I know a million reasons that I might not seem like a good candidate to walk 60 miles in 3 days. (Smoking and drinking might be in the top 20 good reasons but I am still going to do it). I also know too many names of women who are my great reasons for doing this - doing something that matters - doing something that I can do - maybe, just maybe, something that will really, really make a difference. What if my small part was pivotal? What if this had all taken place in time for my mother to be at my wedding instead of my family being at her funeral two weeks earlier. I have loved ones I will walk in memory of and friends I will walk in honor of and for my sweet, beautiful nieces, step daughter and friends who I love that, thank God, are still untouched by breast cancer - I will walk to defend them against breast cancer. It may be all I can do but, by God, I can do this much. With a lot of help from above and from all of you. Wish me luck - wish us all luck!! With much love, Kathleen